The best ever chocolate chip cookies are chewy, loaded with chocolate and delicious browned butter and topped with extra chocolate and sea salt.
- 1 C Unsalted Butter
- 3/4 C Brown Sugar
- 1/2 C Granulated Sugar
- 1 C All Purpose Flour
- 1 C Bread Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt, + more for sprinkling
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Lg Egg, + 1 Yolk (at room temperature)
- 1/2 C Dark Chocolate Chips, + more for topping
- 4 oz (1 bar) Semi-Sweet Chocolate, chopped
- Brown the butter in a medium saucepan over medium to medium high heat stir (or swirl the pan) often to make sure the browned bits don’t start to burn.
- Add the sugars to the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Carefully pour in the butter, making sure you get all of the browned bits too.
- Beat the butter and sugar on medium high for 5 minutes.
- Whisk the dry ingredients (flour, bread flour*, baking soda, and salt) in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla to the mixer. Mix to combine. (Ensure that the butter isn’t hot enough to cook the eggs by feeling the outside of the mixing bowl. If it is room temperature or slightly warmer, you’re good.)
- Add the dry ingredients 1/2 at a time until just incorporated.
- Chop the chocolate bar and add it along with the chocolate chips. Mix to combine.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes.** While the dough chills, preheat the oven to 350.
- Scoop onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet with a standard cookie scoop.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then allow to finish baking on the hot cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes
- Top with extra chocolate chips and sea salt (optional) while the cookies are still warm.
- Transfer to wire rack. Enjoy
*If you don’t have bread flour, using 2 cups of all purpose is okay, but the cookies might be slightly less chewy.
**You can also chill the dough overnight. Allow it to warm up for 10-15 minutes while you preheat the oven so that it’s scoop-able!
Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, browned butter cookies. best chocolate chip cookies