Soft and easy-to-make cookie bars loaded with dark chocolate and salted caramel.
- 2½ C All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 C (2 Sticks) Unsalted Butter
- ¾ C Brown Sugar
- ½ C Granulated Sugar
- 1 Lg Egg +1 Yolk (Room Temperature)
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Bag Ghirardelli Dark & Sea Salt Caramel Squares (You can sub 1 C of chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line a 9X9 with parchment paper, leaving an overhang to easily removed cooled bars.
- Brown the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. This will take 5-7 minutes.
- While the butter is browning, whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Set aside. (Flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.)
- Add the browned butter (and the brown bits at the bottom of the pan!) to the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Add sugar and brown sugar. Cream on medium high speed until light and fluffy. 3 minutes.
- Check to make sure the butter has cooled enough to add the eggs. (Just feel the outside of the mixing bowl) Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients 1/2 at a time and mix until just incorporated and there are no streaks of flour.
- Chop up the chocolate squares and add to dough. Mix to incorporate. Don’t over mix.
- Add the dough to the pan and press down in an even layer using a rubber spatula. (Or your hands!)
- Bake for 18 minutes.
- Allow to finish baking in the hot pan on the counter.
- Once they are cooled enough to handle, lift the bars out of the pan using the parchment overhang. Slice into 16 squares. Enjoy!