Giant chocolate chip cookies absolutely packed with chocolate chips that rival the original Gideon’s version.
- 1 C (226 g) Kerry Gold Salted Butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 C (165g) Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 C (55g) Granulated Sugar
- 1 Lg Egg + 1 Egg Yolk, at room temperature
- 2 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1 C (125g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/4 C (165g) Bread Flour
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 C Mini Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips, divided
- 1 1/2 C Milk Chocolate Chips
- 4 oz Semi Sweet Chocolate Bar, chopped
- 1 C Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Flaky Sea Salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars for 5 minutes. Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla bean paste, and mix for an additional 3 minutes. Don’t skimp on the mix time – it incorporates air into the dough and gives these cookies structure.
- Whisk the dry ingredients – flours, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt – in a separate bowl. Then, mix them into the dough until just combined.
- Add 1/2 C milk chocolate chips, 1/2 C mini semi sweet chips, and the chopped chocolate bar and fold into the dough with a rubber spatula.
- Use a kitchen scale to portion the dough into 6 cookies – 6.5 oz each. Pop the dough into the fridge for about 10 minutes – or until its firm enough to handle.
- While the dough firms up a bit, mix the remaining chocolate in a medium mixing bowl. 1 C EACH semi sweet chips, milk chocolate chips, and mini semi sweet chips.
- Roll the dough into a ball in your hands. Then coat each cookie in the chocolate chip mixture. Press the chocolate into the dough so that it sticks. Coat the entire cookie, except for the bottom to prevent the chocolate from burning in the oven.
- Place the prepared cookie dough balls on a parchment lined baking sheet and chill in the fridge for 24 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 and bake 2 cookies at a time, leaving plenty of room between them. Bake at 350 for 16-18 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and bang the cookie sheet on the counter 4-5 times to help flatten out the cookies a bit. Use a small rubber spatula to scoot any runaway edges back into place.
- The middles will still be doughy, but they will set up as you let them cool on the hot baking sheet.
- Press extra chocolate chips into any bare spots and sprinkle the cookies with flaky sea salt.
- Don’t skip the chill time. I know it’s hard, but it allows the cookies flavor to fully develop and bake properly. If you cheat the chill time, they will spread too quickly into pancakes.
- Cookies can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a week.
- To reheat – place cookie in the microwave for 10-12 seconds.
Keywords: gideons bakehouse cookie recipe, giant chocolate chip cookies, bakery style chocolate chip cookies, gideons bakehouse