Soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie bars that are easy to make and packed with browned butter and chocolate and topped with flaky salt.
- 1 C (175 g) Unsalted Butter
- 1 C (225) Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 C (55 g) Granulated Sugar
- 1 Lg Egg (55 g) + 1 Egg Yolk (18 g), at room temperature
- 2 tsp (8 g) Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 C (255 g) 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 C (170 g) Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 Semi Sweet Chocolate Bar (113.5 g)
- Flaky Salt, optional
- Brown the butter in a medium saucepan, then let come to room temperature. You can do this ahead of time, or pop it in the freezer to hurry it along.
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line an 8X8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the gluten free flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a stand mixer for 5 minutes.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients 1/2 at a time and mix until mostly combined with a few streaks of flour remaining.
- Chop the chocolate bar and set back some of the chopped chocolate and some chocolate chips.
- Fold the remaining chocolate into the cookie dough.
- Press the cookie dough into the prepared pan into an even layer.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. It will still look under baked in the center, but will finish setting up as it cools in the hot pan.
- Let sit in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then remove using the parchment overhang.
- Slice into 8 bars or 16 squares. Top with flaky salt and enjoy.
*If using a 9X9 pan instead of 8X8, bake for 18 minutes.
Keywords: gluten free cookies, gluten free baking, gluten free chocolate chip cookies