Classic peanut butter cookies are a staple around here. These are easy to whip up and are everything you want a peanut butter cookie to be – chewy, a little crumbly, and topped with extra sugar. No frills. Tons of peanut butter flavor.
This post contains no affiliate links. The products I have linked in this post are here simply because I use them and love them and I think you will too!
How to Make Peanut Butter Cookies
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. To make the cookie dough, start by whisking the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and salt) in a medium bowl and set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar for 3 minutes. Then add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Mix to combine. Add the peanut butter, and mix to combine.
Add the dry ingredients, 1/2 at a time and mix just until there are no streaks of flour. Overmixing will cause a more dense and crunchy cookie, and we’re going for chewy here!
Baking the Cookies
Use a standard cookie scoop to portion the cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Use a fork to make those classic crisscrosses in the cookie by pressing the fork down slightly. The dough will spread a little in the oven, so don’t smash the cookies too much. Sprinkle the cookies with some granulated or turbinado sugar.
Bake the cookies at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Allow the cookies to finish baking on the hot cookie sheet for an additional 2 or 3 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling. You might want to make a couple batches – because these didn’t even make it to the next morning at my house.
These cookies are great as is. I think we all can agree that a peanut butter cookie is a true classic. But if you really want to take them up a notch there are lots of ways to do that.
- Stuff them with peanut butter buttercream and strawberry jam. Hello PB&J Sandwich Cookie.
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich. Stuff them with your favorite ice cream. Check out my homemade no churn vanilla bean ice cream here.
- Stuff with Nutella and drizzle with chocolate ganache. Is there a better pair than peanut butter and chocolate?
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me when you make these cookies! I love seeing my recipes come to life in your kitchens! And follow me on Pinterest to save my recipes for later!!Print
Soft and chewy easy-to-make peanut butter cookies
- 1¾ C All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ C (1 stick) Unsalted Butter
- ½ C Brown Sugar
- ½ C Granulated Sugar
- 1 Lg Egg (+1 Yolk)
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ C Peanut Butter
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Whisk dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, & salt) in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars for at least 3 minutes.
- Add egg, yolk, and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Add peanut butter. Mix to combine.
- Add dry ingredients, ½ at a time and mix until just incorporated and no flour streaks remain in the dough.
- Scoop dough onto parchment-lined cookie sheet using a standard cookie scoop. (A tablespoon works too)
- Make crisscrosses on cookies using a fork. Top with granulated sugar. (Or turbinado sugar if you're feeling fancy.)
- Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to continue baking on hot cookie sheet and additional 2-3 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack. Enjoy.