Fluffy quick and easy buttermilk donut holes tossed in cinnamon sugar and dunked in chocolate ganache.
These buttermilk donut holes are so good. And so easy. No stand mixer required, and they fry up in about 3-4 minutes in just an inch or two of oil. So there’s no huge oil mess in your kitchen, and you’ve got hot fresh donuts in a total of 20 minutes. Now that’s a Sunday brunch situation I can get behind. Let’s get right to it.
How to Make Buttermilk Donut Holes
Fill a heavy bottomed pan, I used my cast iron dutch oven, with about 2 inches of a good frying oil. (Vegetable, peanut, canola) Heat the oil to about 345-355 degrees. You will want to monitor the oil temp while frying and try to keep it in that range.
Place some paper towel on a cookie sheet and then put a cooling rack on top. This is where you’ll place the donuts when you pull them out of the oil so set it up close to your stove top. In a medium sized bowl, stir together 1/2 C sugar and 2 TBSP cinnamon to roll the donuts in after they’ve fried. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry. It will be like a thick pancake batter.
Once the oil is between 345-355 degrees, drop the batter in using a 1 TSBP cookie scoop. Fry about 6-8 donut holes at a time, but don’t over crowd your pan. Fry the donut holes for 2-3 minutes per side, or until they are golden brown. Let the donuts drain off some excess oil on the cooling rack, then roll them in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Enjoy as is, or dunk them in some chocolate ganache, caramel, or even some slightly melted Nutella. Yesssss.Print
Quick and easy buttermilk donut holes rolled in cinnamon sugar.
- 2–3 C Frying Oil (Vegetable, Canola, Peanut…)
- 3 C All Purpose Flour
- 1 C Granulated Sugar
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Lg Eggs
- 1 C Buttermilk
- 4 TBSP Unsalted Butter, melted
For the Cinnamon Sugar
- 1/2 C Granulated Sugar
- 2 TBSP Cinnamon
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan to 345-355 degrees
- Line a cookie sheet with paper towel and top with a cooling rack. Set up near stove top.
- Mix up the cinnamon sugar in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Use a 1 TBSP cookie scoop to drop 6-8 donuts at a time into the oil. Don’t over crowd the pan.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes per size or until golden brown.
- Let donuts drain the excess oil on the cooling rack for a couple of minutes, then roll in cinnamon sugar.
- Enjoy as is or dunk in some chocolate ganache!
Keywords: buttermilk donut holes, donut holes, easy donuts