This post is sponsored by Eagle Brand Milk, but as always all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Buuck Farms Bakery Possible.
Homemade peppermint patties are so delicious and way better than the store bought version. They make perfect teacher gifts, additions to your holiday cookie boxes, and are easy enough to make that the kiddos can get involved! Pop on some holiday tunes, light a pine scented candle, and you have all the makings of a Christmas core memory. Please tell me you get my Disney movie references?!
What Will I Need to Make This Recipe
These are super simple to make, but there are a couple things you’ll need that will make it easier. I am not a fan of dunking things into chocolate. It makes the biggest mess and I just don’t have the required patience. So instead, I decided to use these –
1. Reese Cup Wrappers. I found them on Amazon so that I could pour the chocolate and make zero mess. You could also use cupcake liners or any candy liners similar to these that you find in the baking aisle of your local supermarket. If you enjoy dunking things in chocolate, you can absolutely go that route as well.
2. A hand mixer is also super handy when making this recipe. It’s a little difficult to bring the ingredients together by hand, but a stand mixer is overkill. So if you have a hand mixer, I’d highly recommend whipping it out.
3. Peppermint extract. Being the avid baker that I am, I always have this. But, I can see how everyone might not. You can find it in the baking aisle at any grocery or supermarket. Just make sure you get peppermint, NOT spearmint.
How to Make Homemade Peppermint Patties
Who knew that making peppermint patties at home was so easy? Not me!! It requires minimal ingredients and effort and they’re OH SO GOOD. I’d be willing to bet you already have everything you need to make these babies. The sweetened condensed milk gives these candies the best creamy texture, and Eagle Brand’s new pouches make small batches so easy! Simply use what you need, add the cap back on, and use the rest later. Best idea ever!!
In a large bowl, combine the powdered sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and peppermint extract. Use a hand mixer to bring it together into a crumbly dough that holds it shape when you press it together. Take about 1 tsp at a time into your hands and shape it into a flat round disc that’s slightly smaller than the candy wrappers. Set the peppermint patties on a parchment lined cookie sheet and set aside.
In a medium heat safe bowl, melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil in 30 second increments in the microwave until smooth. Pour about 1 tsp into each candy wrapper, then add the peppermint patties. Top with more dark chocolate and a sprinkle of crushed peppermint. Let the chocolate set, then enjoy.
These homemade peppermint patties will keep at room temperature for up to 2 weeks if you properly tempered your chocolate. To ensure your chocolate is tempered, make sure to heat it up slowly and stir in between microwaving. If your chocolate isn’t properly tempered, you can store it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Using a high quality chocolate will help in tempering your chocolate and making sure it sets beautifully.Print
These 6 ingredient homemade peppermint patties are super easy to make and way better than the store bought version.
- 3 C Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 C Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 1/2 tsp Peppermint Extract
- 16 oz Dark Chocolate Chips
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil
- Crushed Peppermint for topping *optional
- In a large bowl, combine the powdered sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and peppermint extract.
- Use a hand mixer to bring it together into a crumbly dough that holds it’s shape when pressed together.
- Take 1 tsp into your hands at a time and shape it into a flat round disc slightly smaller than your candy wrappers. Place on a parchment lined tray and set aside.
- In a medium heat safe bowl, melt the chocolate and coconut oil in 30 second increments in the microwave.
- Once the chocolate is melted and smooth, pour 1 tsp into each candy wrapper, then place the peppermint patties in. Top with more melted chocolate and a sprinkle of crushed peppermint.
- Allow the chocolate to set, and enjoy.
*Peppermint patties will keep at room temperature for up to 2 weeks as long as the chocolate was properly tempered. If your chocolate starts to become cloudy, store it in the fridge.
Keywords: peppermint patties, homemade peppermint patties, peppermint candy