Perfect chewy espresso chocolate chip cookies with crinkly crisp edges packed with chocolate and crushed Java Chip Oreo’s. Bake them as is, or stuff them with an extra Java Chip Oreo! Instructions included for both! These Java Chip Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies are sure to become a family favorite!
I had this idea the second I saw the Java Chip Oreo’s on the shelf. Grabbed ’em, ran home, started baking. I knew they would be good, but I actually gasped when I pulled these babies out of the oven. They are perfection. They are beauty, they are grace. If you are a lover of the espresso/chocolate combo, you need these cookies in your life.
I couldn’t decide if they just needed crushed Oreo’s in the batter, or if they needed to be stuffed. So I made them both ways and it was a good decision. They’re great either way, but I’ll talk you through both ways and you can decide for yourself! Let’s get to it!
How to Make Java Chip Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies
In a medium-large mixing bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Cream on medium speed for 5-7 minutes, scraping the bowl down several times throughout mixing.
While the butter and sugars are mixing, measure out 1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips, and roughly chop one 4 oz dark chocolate bar. I use Ghiradelli Semi Sweet Chips and 4 oz of a Trader Joe’s 72% Dark Chocolate Bar. I especially love those chocolate bars because they are thick and create those big pools of chocolate on the cookies. Chop 6 Java Chip Oreos into pieces roughly the same size as the chopped chocolate. Also crack the egg and egg yolk into a small bowl. I always crack my eggs into a separate bowl to ensure no egg shells sneak into my cookie dough.
After the butter and sugars have mixed for 5-7 minutes, add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Mix for another minute. Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl to make sure everything gets incorporated. Add the dry ingredients 1/2 at a time, mixing until just combined. Leaving a few streaks of flour is fine. Save a few chocolate chips and pieces of the chocolate bar to top the cookies with. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the chocolate chips, chopped chocolate, and chopped Oreos.
Use large cookie scoop with a trigger – each cookie dough ball should have 3 TBSP of dough- to scoop the dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Pop the dough into the fridge for 30 minutes. This step is super important, and the dough will spread too much if you don’t chill it.
To Bake Cookies As Is (without stuffing with Oreo)
Preheat the oven to 350 and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Roll the chilled dough in your palms, then top with extra chocolate chips and chunks. Also, break apart a few extra Oreos and press them into the top of the cookie dough. Bake 6 cookies per sheet, leaving room in between, as the cookies will spread as they bake. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. The cookies will look under baked, but will set up as they cool. When you remove the cookies from the oven, scoot them back into a perfect circle by taking a round cookie cutter (or bowl/anything round that can withstand a little heat) and swirling it over the hot cookie. Top with flaky salt- optional, but highly recommended. Enjoy!
To Bake Stuffed With an Extra Oreo
Preheat oven to 350 and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Grab a cookie dough ball and press it into one palm as flat as you can. Place an Oreo in the center, then wrap the extra dough up and around the sides, enclosing the Oreo into the cookie dough. It will be more of a thick disc shape rather than a circle. Press extra chocolate chips and chunks into the top and sides of the dough. Also break a few Oreo pieces and press those into the dough as well. If the dough has warmed up and is no longer chilled to the touch, pop them back into the fridge for another 10-15 minutes, or until the dough had firmed back up.
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and use a round cookie cutter to scoot the cookies back into a cookie shape. Then, place the cookies back into the 350 degree oven for another 2 minutes. Remove from oven and scoot them again with the cookie cutter. Sprinkle with flaky salt and enjoy.Print
Java Chip Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 25 min + chill time
- Yield: 15 Large Cookies 1x
Perfect chewy espresso chocolate chip cookies with crinkly crisp edges packed with chocolate and crushed Java Chip Oreo’s. Either baked as is, or stuffed with an extra Java Chip Oreo.
- 2 C All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Espresso Powder
- 1 C (2 Sticks) Salted Butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 C Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 C Brown Sugar
- 1 Lg Egg + 1 Egg Yolk, at room temperature
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 10 Java Chip Oreo Cookies (25 if you are stuffing the cookies with an extra Oreo
- 1 C Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 4 oz Dark (72%) Chocolate, chopped
- Flaky Salt – optional.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar for 5-7 minutes. Scrape the bowl as needed.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients 1/2 at a time, mixing until just combined. Leaving a few streaks of flour is fine.
- Chop the chocolate bar, and save back a few pieces as well as a few chocolate chips to top the cookie dough with before baking.
- Chop 6 of the Oreos into roughly the same size as the chopped chocolate.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in the chocolate chips, chopped chocolate, and chopped Oreos.
- Use a large (3 TBSP) cookie scoop to portion the dough onto a sheet pan. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
To Bake As Is (without stuffing with extra Oreo
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll the chilled cookie dough between your palms into a smooth ball.
- Press chocolate chips and chopped chocolate into the top and sides of the dough. Break apart 4 more Oreos into large chunks and press them into the top of the dough as well.
- Bake 5-6 cookies per sheet and give them enough room to spread.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and swirl a round cookie cutter around the hot cookie to shape into a perfect circle.
- Top with flaky salt and enjoy.
To Bake Stuffed with Extra Oreo
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Grab a cookie dough ball and press it flat into your palm. Place an Oreo in the center, then fold the extra dough up and around the Oreo, sealing the Oreo inside. Shape it into a nice thick disc shape.
- Press extra chocolate chips and chunks into the top and sides of the dough.
- Break apart 4 more Oreos into large chunks and press them into the top of the dough as well.
- If the dough has warmed up, place back into the fridge for 10-15 minutes so that it is firm.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, remove from oven and use a round cookie cutter to scoot the dough back into a perfectly round shape, then place the cookies bake into the 350 degree oven for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from oven and scoot the cookies with the round cookie cutter a final time.
- Sprinkle with flaky salt and enjoy.
*Scooting the cookies into a perfect round shape is totally optional, but a fun way to make your cookies extra special! You want to use a cookie cutter that’s just slightly larger than the size of your cookies. You can also use a biscuit cutter, bowl, or anything round that can withstand a little heat.
Keywords: oreo cookies, espresso cookies, java oreo stuffed cookies
If you loved these Java Chip Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies, be sure to check out my Salted Caramel Cookie Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies, or my Browned Butter Oreo Brownies.
Leave a Reply