These are the BEST (and cutest) mini gluten free vanilla cupcakes! They are the perfect two-bite treat with a moist and tender vanilla cupcake, fluffy vanilla buttercream, and rainbow sprinkles. These little babies are packed with REAL vanilla flavor and I bet you won’t even know they’re gluten free!
What makes these mini gluten free vanilla cupcakes the BEST?
- Their size. They’re just so cute, right? I love having dessert, obviously. But sometimes, I just want a bite or two. And these are perfect for that. I love serving smaller portions of desserts at parties too so my guest can try more than one thing without being in a complete sugar coma afterwards.
- Easy to Make. You don’t even need a mixer for this recipe! Just a whisk, a rubber spatula, and a mixing bowl. You will also need a mini cupcake pan. I use this one from USA pan. If you don’t have a mini cupcake pan, this will make 6 traditional sized cupcakes! Or you can bake the batter in an 8X8 pan in a single layer, and use a small round cookie cutter to punch out mini cupcakes.
- Simple Ingredients. These cupcakes use just a few simple ingredients that you probably already have! This recipe does call for buttermilk, but if you don’t have that you can add a little vinegar or lemon juice to regular milk and it will work just the same!
How to make Mini Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes
Make the Vanilla Cupcakes
Preheat your oven to 350 and line a mini cupcake pan with 24 mini cupcake liners. In a medium-large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, gluten free flour, baking powder and salt. In a large liquid measuring cup whisk the oil, sour cream, buttermilk and vanilla. Create a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour the liquid ingredients in. Fold with a rubber spatula until just combined. Be careful not to over mix because we want a light and airy cupcake. The batter will be thick.
Use a 1 TBSP cookie scoop to portion the batter into the prepared pan. Just 1 TBSP of batter per cupcake. Bake at 360 for 15-16 minutes, or until the edges just start to brown and a toothpick comes out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs attached. Let cupcakes cool completely while you prepare the vanilla buttercream.
Make the Vanilla Buttercream
In a medium mixing bowl, whip the butter with a hand mixer until smooth. Mix in the salt and vanilla. Add half of the powdered sugar and mix on low for 3 minutes. Then, repeat with the remaining half of the powdered sugar. Add heavy cream 1-2 TBSP at a time until you reach your desired consistency. You want it to be soft and fluffy, but still hold its shape when piped.
Prepare a piping bag with a large round tip. Fill the piping bag with the buttercream. Pipe a classic swirl onto each cupcake. Start in the center, apply even pressure to your piping bag and slowly pipe a circle around the edges. Start to pull the piping bag back to the center of the cupcake while piping another half circle. Then, quickly twist your wrist as you pull the bag up and away. Top with rainbow sprinkles.
Mini Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcake FAQs
- How to store them? These cupcakes can be kept covered at room temperature for a day or so. After that put them into an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Because of their small size, they will dry out faster than standard sized cupcakes.
- Can I make these ahead of time? Yes. You can bake the cupcakes, then cover in an airtight container and freeze for up to three months. When ready to serve, let them thaw in the fridge overnight and make the buttercream fresh and frost them just before serving.
- Can I bake regular sized cupcakes with this recipe. Yes. This will make 6 standard sized cupcakes. Bake in a regular cupcake pan at 350 for 20-22 minutes.
Mini, 2-bite gluten free vanilla cupcakes that are light, fluffy and topped with vanilla buttercream and rainbow sprinkles.
For the Gluten Free Cupcakes
- 1/3 C (55 g) Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 C (150 g) Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 C (65 g) Full Fat Sour Cream, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 C (100 g) Buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 C + 2 TBSP (140 g) 1 to 1 Gluten Free Baking Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
For the Vanilla Buttercream
- 1/2 C (113 g) Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 C Powdered Sugar
- 2–4 TBSP Heavy Cream
For the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a mini cupcake pan with 24 mini cupcake liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk the sugar, gluten free flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large liquid measuring cup, whisk together the oil, sour cream, vanilla, and buttermilk.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the liquids in. Fold together until JUST combined. The batter will be thick.
- Use a 1 TBSP cookie scoop to portion the batter into the prepared cupcake liners.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes or until the edges just begin to brown and a toothpick comes out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Let cupcakes cool completely before topping with vanilla buttercream.
For the Vanilla Buttercream
- Use a hand mixer to whip the butter until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and salt and mix to combine.
- Add half of the powdered sugar and mix for 2-3 minutes or until smooth. Repeat with the remaining powdered sugar.
- Add heavy cream 1-2 TBSP at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Prepare a piping bag with a round tip and fill with buttercream. Pipe a classic swirl onto each cupcake and top with rainbow sprinkles.
Cupcakes will keep fresh on the counter for 24 hours, then place in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Since they are small, they will dry out quicker than standard sized cupcakes.
Keywords: gluten free cupcakes, mini cupcakes, gluten free desserts
If you loved this recipe for Mini Gluten Free Cupcakes, be sure to leave a star rating and review below and tag @buuckfarmsbakery on Instagram and Tiktok. To save this recipe for later, click on the Pinterest icon on any of the images throughout this post.