Oh do I love me a small batch recipe. And this one for small batch banana muffins is perfect because honestly how many times do you find yourself with one lonely getting-browner-by-the-second banana? It’s like everybody wants a banana but no one wants the last banana. What IS it with that? I cannot be the only one.
Anyway, these babies are good, only use one banana and a handful of other pantry staples, and are swirled with cinnamon sugar before going into the oven. Just. So. Good. This recipe will make 4 large banana muffins, or 6 small ones. Let’s make them shall we?
How to Make Small Batch Banana Muffins
Make the Muffin Batter
Preheat the oven to 425 and prepare a muffin tin with liners. I cut some 4″ parchment squares because I wanted large muffins. You can also use cupcake liners, and you’ll get 6 smaller muffins. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside
In a small bowl, mash the banana. In a large bowl, melt the butter, then whisk it with the sugars until combined. Add the egg and vanilla. Mix to combine. Then, stir in the mashed banana. Fold in the flour, baking powder, and salt until just combined.
Make the Cinnamon Sugar
In a small bowl, melt the remaining butter. Stir in the cinnamon and brown sugar. Divide the muffin batter into the liners evenly. I do this using an ice cream scoop to make sure they are all the same size. Fill the liners almost to the top, then drizzle the cinnamon sugar mixture over the top, then use a toothpick or butter knife to swirl it through the batter and top with remaining batter and turbinado sugar.
Bake at 425 for 5 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 350 and bake an additional 18-20 minutes. Baking at a high temperature for a few minutes at the beginning will help the muffins rise quickly and create those cute muffin tops.Print
Small Batch Banana Muffins
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 Large Banana Muffins 1x
Small batch banana muffins swirled with cinnamon sugar.
For Muffin Batter
- 4 TBSP Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1/4 C Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 C Granulated Sugar
- 1 Lg Egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Ripe Banana, smashed or pureed
- 1 C All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
For Cinnamon Sugar
- 2 TBSP Unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 TBSP Granulated Sugar
For Banana Muffins
- Preheat oven to 425 and line a muffin tin with liners. You can make 4 large muffins or 6 small.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the melted butter with the sugars.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Mix in the pureed or mashed banana.
- Add in the dry ingredients, mix to combine. Do not over mix.
For the Cinnamon Sugar
- Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Stir in the cinnamon and sugar.
- Fill the muffin liners almost all the way full with batter.
- Drizzle the mixture over each muffin.
- Use a toothpick or butter knife to swirl it through the batter top with remaining batter and turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 425 for 5 minutes then lower the oven temp to 350 and bake an additional 18-20 minutes.
I used parchment for my liners. I simply cut out about 4″ squares, and then pressed them down into the muffin pan, folding them where necessary.
Keywords: small batch banana muffins, small batch muffins, cinnamon banana muffins
I’d love to hear what you think of these in the comments below! And if you loved this recipe, be sure to check out my Lemon Blueberry Shortbread Bars – they are to-die-for!
Super tasty and perfect for when you just have one banana! My oven runs hot so I shortened the final bake time by 5 minutes. Thanks for the recipe, Liz!
Great recipe, will definitely make these again, thanks for sharing!
Hey Marla, Yay so happy you enjoyed these!