Rich and gooey brownies swirled with creamy almond butter and a secret ingredient for an added flavor punch – tahini! Don’t knock it ’til ya try it my friends.
What is tahini and why should I bake with it?
Tahini is made from ground sesame seeds. It’s often used in dressings, hummus, and asian-inspired noodles and soups. So why would you put it in a batch of brownies? It adds such an unexpected deep flavor that’s slightly savory and salty, but pairs SO WELL with chocolate. I’ll admit I was wary of this baking trend when I first saw it, but now I’m fully on board.
Can I make substitutions to this recipe?
You guys know that I’m always on the hunt for peanut-free recipes because my youngest has a peanut-allergy (whomp whomp) However, you could easily replace the almond butter in this recipe for peanut butter, or any nut butter of your choice, I would just recommend using one that is creamy and not too thick. I used Trader Joe’s Creamy Almond Butter – it’s our favorite! I linked it there for you, but you can get it WAY cheaper if you have a Trader Joe’s near you. Another favorite almond butter of ours is Barney Butter, which you can find at most grocery stores!
As for the other ingredients, I’d stay as true to the recipe as possible. You could omit the tahini if it’s not your thing, just replace it with an equal amount of butter.
How to Make Almond Butter Tahini Brownies
These Almond Butter Tahini Brownies are super easy to make – they only require one bowl! Can I get a ‘heck yeah!’ for less dishes?! Start by adding the butter and chocolate chips to a large, microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until the chocolate is fully melted and smooth. Let cool slightly.
While the chocolate cools, preheat the oven to 350 and line an 8X8 baking pan with parchment paper. I like to leave an overhang with with parchment so that I can easily lift the brownies out of the pan once they’ve cooled to slice and serve.
Once the chocolate/butter mixture has cooled slightly, whisk in the sugar, eggs, and egg white. Whisk for 2-3 minutes, until very well incorporated. It will begin to thicken at this point, that’s ok! You want to give it a good whisk because we are incorporating air into the batter, and since we aren’t using any baking powder or soda in this recipe, we need that air to help the brownies rise. Stir in the tahini. Then fold in the flour, cocoa powder, and salt, mixing just until combined.
Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan. Heat the almond butter in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds, just until it reaches a pourable consistency. Pour it over the brownie batter, then use a butter knife or offset spatula to swirl the almond butter into the brownie batter. Top with sliced almonds and extra chocolate chips. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. It will seem a little under baked in the center, but will continue to set up as it cools in the pan.
Once the brownies are cool, remove from the pan using the parchment overhang. Slice into 16 small squares, or 8 larger rectangles. For a clean slice, wipe off your knife between cuts. Brownies will keep on the counter for 3-4 days, or up to 10 days in the fridge.Print
Almond Butter Tahini Brownies
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 Large or 16 Small Brownies 1x
Rich and gooey brownies swirled with creamy almond butter – plus an extra special ingredient to kick up the flavor – tahini!
- 1/2 C (113 g) Salted Butter
- 1/4 C (40 g) Tahini
- 1 1/4 C (215 g) Dark Chocolate Chips (60-70%)
- 3 Lg Eggs + 1 Egg White
- 1 1/2 C (365 g) Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 C (90 g) All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 C (40 g) Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 C (80 g) Creamy Almond Butter
- Extra chocolate chips + sliced almonds for topping (optional)
- Melt the chocolate chips and butter in a large microwave safe bowl. Let cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line an 8X8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add the sugar, eggs, and egg white to the melted chocolate. Whisk for 2-3 minutes. It will start to get thick.
- Stir in the tahini.
- Fold in the flour, cocoa powder, and salt, mixing just until combined.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan.
- Heat the almond butter in the microwave for 15-20 seconds, or until it reaches a pourable consistency.
- Pour the almond butter over the brownie batter and swirl it in using a butter knife or offset spatula.
- Top with extra chocolate chips and sliced almonds. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then slice and serve.
Keywords: almond butter brownies, almond butter desserts, tahini dessert recipes, easy brownie recipes
If you loved the recipe for these Almond Butter Tahini Brownies, make sure to check out my Browned Butter Oreo Brownies, and my Cookie Butter Skillet Brownie.
These look amazing! And controversial one, but almond butter is so superior to peanut butter. There I said it!
Thank you! I love peanut butter so much but had to make the switch with my son’s allergy but I’m not mad about it! Almond butter is so delish!