These Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes are so good guys. The chocolate cupcakes are easy to make, moist, and verrrry chocolatey. Then they’re topped with super fluffy Nutella American Buttercream, and drizzled with Nutella Chocolate Ganache. I feel like I don’t need to convince you any further. Shall we?
How to Make Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes
Make the Chocolate Cupcakes
Preheat the oven to 350 and line 2 muffin pans with cupcake liners. This recipe will make 24 cupcakes. Gather all of your ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
Whisk the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture. Slowly pour the hot coffee into the batter and whisk to combine. The batter will be thin. Use an ice cream scoop to fill the cupcake liners. Fill about 2/3 of the way to the top. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean, with a few moist crumbs attached. Let cool.
Make the Nutella Buttercream
In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat softened butter on high for 10 minutes. Butter will become very soft and lighten in color. Every 2-3 minutes, I like to scrape the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl to make sure all of the butter is getting attention. Add salt and vanilla. Add powdered sugar, 1/2 at a time, mixing for 3 minutes after each addition. Scrape down the bowl as necessary.
Add in the Nutella and mix on medium high for 5 minutes. This will make the buttercream extra fluffy. Turn the mixer down to low and mix for an additional 2 minutes to pop some of the air bubbles. If you want an even softer buttercream, add heavy cream 1 TBSP at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
Make the Nutella Chocolate Ganache
Whenever I make ganache, I measure by weight. I find that it gives me the most consistent results. Add 50 grams each of nutella, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and heavy cream to a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 20 second bursts, stirring in between, until the ganache is smooth. Let cool on counter.
Decorating Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes
When I thought about how I wanted to decorate these cupcakes, I chose this way for two reasons. 1 – I know not everyone has an arsenal of piping bags and tips like I do. And 2 – I wanted the Nutella Chocolate Ganache to mostly stay on top, rather than fall down the sides of the frosting.
It’s a very simple technique that doesn’t require any fancy baking tools and yet still leaves you with a pretty cupcake. Start by spooning about 3 TBSP of buttercream on top of the cupcake. Then use an offset spatula (or a butter knife also works great!) and spread the frosting in an even layer across the top. Push the frosting out slightly past the edges of the cupcakes.
Scrape off your spatula and then hold it vertically against the side of the cupcake. Rotate the cupcake against the spatula to smooth the sides. Then, make a swirl on the top of the cupcake with the end of the spatula. When the ganache has cooled, drizzle it on top. Drizzling hot ganache on the cupcakes will melt the buttercream.
Moist chocolate cupcakes topped with fluffy Nutella american buttercream and drizzled with Nutella chocolate ganache.
For Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 3/4 C All Purpose Flour
- 2 C Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 C Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 C Buttermilk, at room temperature
- 3 Lg Eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 C Vegetable Oil
- 1 C Hot Strong Brewed Coffee (you can substitute hot water if desired)
For the Nutella Buttercream
- 1 1/2 C (3 Sticks) Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 6 C Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 C Nutella
- 2–4 TBSP Heavy Cream, at room temperature
For Nutella Chocolate Ganache
- 50 g Nutella
- 50 g Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 50 g Heavy Cream
For Chocolate Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 and line 2 cupcake pans with liners
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Slowly pour in the hot coffee and whisk to combine. Do this quickly to avoid cooking the eggs.
- Use an ice cream scoop to fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Allow to cool.
For the Nutella Buttercream
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat butter on high for 10 minutes.
- Add salt and vanilla, mix to combine.
- Add powdered sugar, 1/2 at a time, mixing for 3 minutes after each addition.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the Nutella, and mix on medium high for 5 minutes.
- Turn the mixer down to low and mix for an additional 2 minutes to pop some of the air bubbles.
- If desired, add heavy cream 1 TBSP at a time to soften the buttercream to your desired consistency. I did not add any cream to mine, and found that it was perfectly soft enough.
For the Nutella Chocolate Ganache
- Add all ingredients to a microwave safe bowl
- Microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring after each.
- Continue until chocolate is completely melted and ganache is smooth.
- Allow to cool.
Keywords: chocolate cupcakes, nutella cupcakes, nutella recipes, nutella desserts