If you haven’t noticed, I’m currently loving all things with this roasted strawberry jam. (Check out my Roasted Strawberry Cheesecake Brownies here.) These lemon cupcakes with roasted strawberry cream cheese frosting were the perfect way to use up all of that jam and they are deeeeelicious. I mean strawberries and lemon are like the ultimate summer flavor combo.
How to Make Lemon Cupcakes with Roasted Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
Make the Cupcake Batter
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two cupcake with liners. This recipe will make 18 cupcakes. Put the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt) in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time until combined.
Combine the milk, greek yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla in a large liquid measuring cup and mix to combine. I use this 2 cupper! A bowl works fine too, it’s just super easy to pour it into the batter using the pour spout on a measuring cup. **The acid from the lemon juice will start to curdle the milk a little, don’t worry it’s okay!!**
Now you should have three mixtures – the butter/sugar/eggs in the mixer, the dry ingredients, and the milk mixture. Next, you are going to combine them. I do this by adding 1/3 of the dry ingredients, then 1/2 of the milk mixture, and repeat. You want to start and end with the dry ingredients. Be careful not to over mix the batter. You’re good when it’s mostly combined and there’s a few streaks of flour remaining.
Bake the Cupcakes
Fill the cupcake liners by scooping the batter using a standard 4 oz ice cream scoop, like this one. This should fill the liners almost to the top, leaving about a half inch of space for the cupcakes to rise. Bake at 350 for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
PRO TIP: Waiting to take the cupcakes out until a toothpick comes out clean, like lots of recipes suggest, will result in dried out cupcakes. This is because when you take them out, they will continue to cook a little in the hot pan. So if they’re completely baked and the toothpick comes out clean, they will over bake while cooling in the hot pan. If you take them out when they are slightly under baked, they will be perfection!
Make the Roasted Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the cream cheese until it is fluffy and completely smooth. At least 3 minutes. Add the butter and beat until combined and it lightens in color – an additional 2-3 minutes.
Add a pinch of salt, and vanilla extract. Mix to combine. Begin adding powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Continue adding powdered sugar until the frosting is thicker than you eventually want it to be. The strawberry jam will thin it out. Add strawberry jam, mix to combine. If the frosting gets too thin, add powdered sugar 2 TBSP at a time until desired consistency.
I decorated these cupcakes two different ways, just to give you guys some ideas of how you can serve them. But be creative! Do you! There are no rules here.
Don’t have piping bags or tips? The jam topped option is perfect for that. Use a spoon to dollop 2-3 TBSP of frosting onto the center of the cupcake. Then use an offset spatula or butter knife to spread the frosting. Spread it out past the edge of the cupcake slightly, trying to keep the top flat. Then, take the spatula (or the flat side of the butter knife) and hold it vertically against the cupcake. Spin the cupcake so that the spatula is scraping off the excess frosting and making those clean and straight sides. Finally, use the spatula or a spoon to make a swirl on the top and drizzle with extra jam.
Alternatively, fill a piping bag with frosting and a star or flower tip. I used Wilton 2D. Pipe a swirl onto each cupcake and top with a fresh strawberry. I like to pipe a LOT of frosting – like a 1:1 ratio of cupcake to frosting, but that’s just me!Print
Lemon Strawberry Cupcakes
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 18 Cupcakes 1x
- Category: Cakes and Pies
- Cuisine: Dessert, Snack
These cupcakes are super easy to make, but will be sure to impress with the intense flavors of lemon and roasted strawberries! Oh, and cream cheese frosting is literally the icing on the *cup*CAKE.
For the Cupcakes
- 2 1/2 C All Purpose Flour
- 2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 8 TBSP (1 Stick) Unsalted Butter, room temp
- 1 3/4 C Granulated Sugar
- 2 Lg. Eggs, room temp
- Zest of 2 Lemons
- 2 TBSP Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 C Milk, room temp
- 1/2 C Greek Yogurt, room temp
For Roasted Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 TBSP Unsalted Butter, room temp
- 8 oz (1 Block) Full Fat Cream Cheese, room temp
- 6–7 C Powdered Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 C Roasted Strawberry Jam
Roasted Strawberry Jam
- 1 C Roasted Strawberry Puree
- 1/4 C Granulated Sugar
- 2 TBSP Water
- 2 TBSP Fresh Lemon Juice
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line two cupcake pans with 18 total liners
- Cream the butter and sugar in a stand mixer for 3 minutes
- Add eggs, one at a time, mix to combine
- In a large liquid measuring cup (or bowl) combine the milk, greek yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla extract
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk mixture to the butter and sugar mixture until everything is combined. Start and end with the dry ingredients. (Add 1/3 of dry ingredients, then 1/2 of milk mixture, repeat until everything is combined.)
- Use a standard 4 oz ice cream scoop to fill the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Cool on a wire rack while you make the frosting
For the Frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the cream cheese until fluffy and completely smooth – 3 minutes
- Add the butter and beat for an additional 2-3 minutes
- Add a pinch of salt and the vanilla extract, mix to combine.
- Start adding the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Continue to add powdered sugar until the consistency is thicker than you want.
- Add the roasted strawberry jam.
- If the frosting thins out too much from the jam, add more powdered sugar 2 TBSP at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
For the Roasted Strawberry Jam
- Add all the ingredients to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until the jam thickens slightly. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
- For a more detailed description of how to make this jam and how to roast strawberries – check out my Roasted Strawberry Cheesecake Brownies.
Make sure to scrape down the sides of the mixture to make sure everything gets evenly combined, or you could end up with cupcakes that bake unevenly.
Keywords: Lemon Cupcakes, Strawberry Frosting, Lemon Desserts
Leave a Reply